Kresge Physical Sciences Library
& Cook Mathematics Collection
This is a quarterly electronic newsletter to update you on what’s happening in your Library! Please don’t hesitate to contact us if you have questions or suggestions!
- In the Spring term, Kresge librarians worked with the following classes:
- In addition, Shirley led a LaTeX tips-sharing session on April 3. We had a lively discussion about different packages and formatting tricks.
- In April, we held an opening reception for Emily Li’s exhibit, “Ghost of Dartmouth Eye Institute Past.”
- In May, Shirley and Dave Izzo (Biomedical Libraries) led a workshop for WISP interns on creating a poster using PowerPoint for the Wetterhahn Symposium.
- Also in May, we kicked off the new Kresge Library Advisory Board (K-LAB)! Thanks to the 20 grad student members who are participating.
- Kresge Library hosted a Thesis Writers Bootcamp in early May and it was very well attended. Students arrived by 10am and stayed until at least 4pm. The Library also sponsored a pizza lunch and snacks.
- Each year we celebrate student research by showcasing the winning posters from the Graduate Student Poster Session and the Sigma Xi/Christopher Reed Undergraduate Poster Competition. The posters are framed and hung in the research poster gallery. Come see this year’s winners!
- This June, we experimented with a “Graffiti Wall” where we asked graduating students to leave a piece of advice for their peers who are still at Dartmouth. Results coming soon!
Summer Term Staffing and Hours
- This term Kresge will be open Monday-Thursday 8am-12am, Friday 8am-8pm, Saturday 1pm-6pm, and Sunday 1pm-12am (note Kresge will close a little early, at 8pm, on July 3rd and will be closed on July 4th.)
- Zack Bennis, the new Educational Technologies consultant for Fairchild science departments, will be moving into Kresge in the next week or so. Stop by to say hello!
- Ann Perbohner is still on leave and in the interim, Shirley Zhao will continue to manage the mathematics and computer science collections and supporting the information and teaching needs of the respective departments. Veneda Gabourel, a night supervisor at Baker-Berry Library, will continue with Saturday staffing through July.
- We will have a new temporary staff member join us in a few weeks so keep an eye out for the announcement!
- This summer, we are working on several collections projects, including trimming down the reference collection to make room for more study space.
- We are continually adding new books to the collection. Please drop by Kresge to peruse our New Books shelf or check the new acquisitions lists.
- Need a good book for summertime reading? Browse recent additions to Kresge’s Popular Science Collection!
- If there’s a new book that you think would make a great addition to the library, please suggest a purchase!
Research/Information Guide Highlights
- Great Books for Scientists
- Reference Managers
- LaTeX and BibTeX – Getting Started
- Scholarly Publishing & Communication
Select library-wide and campus-wide summer events
- August: Sophomore Summer Library Outreach
- Check out the new Dartmouth Events Calendar for campus-wide events!