Arjun and I went snowshoeing for the first time! It was organized by Mike Silverman at the DOC house out on Occom Pond. The snowshoes took a little getting used to –you have to keep your legs a little wider than normal and point your toes down so that the bottoms dig into the snow. I almost tripped a few times but luckily I didn’t fall. It was a rather large group of people who showed up for the event. We all got snowshoes and walked out onto the golf course. Arjun is a complete natural, even though this was also his first time. We walked around the course and into a trail that went back and around. All in all, about a 45 minute walk. It was surprisingly warm with the sun shining and all the layers I was wearing.
Some tips to remember:
- wear shoes that are kind of hard so that the snowshoe straps aren’t biting into your toes
- waterproof shoes are great
- take smaller steps –less likely to trip
- weight is slightly forward on your toes
- really get those straps tight, but not so tight that it cuts off your circulation
- dress in layers and bring mittens